Oh yum. I just discovered my new favorite Easter recipe. The perfect after dinner treat or a lovely sweet brunch addition.
It’s got the spices and flavor of carrot cake with the convenience of a breakfast bar. It’s packed with carrots, applesauce and good-for-you spices like ginger and cinnamon.
- 3 cup pureed carrot
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar (I use unrefined raw sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 cup flour (I use King Arthur All Purpose )
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 9 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- Steam or boil your carrots until soft. Put in a food processor and puree. (If necessary, add 1-2 tablespoons of the water they were cooked in to get it smoother). Allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, sugar, and carrot puree. Add applesauce.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Stir into the carrot mixture and mix well.
- Spread the batter evenly into a buttered 10×15 inch pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool before applying frosting.
- Beat the cream cheese, honey, and vanilla extract until light and fluffy. Apply to cooled bars